Five weeks ago I got laid off.
Well, I don’t know if laid off is the right word as it was put to me, I was put on “as needed” or “will call” status.
Now, if I was independently wealthy this would be fine with me, I would have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever but since my bill collectors are persistent cusses, I simply find I can’t sit by the phone and wait for a client to call.
And truthfully, I was very disappointed on a number of levels. I liked quite a few people at my job, I really enjoyed interacting with them on a regular basis and in some instances I found myself learning from them. I knew the landscape in the company as well and there is something consistency in the structure of a person’s day.
And I believed I added to the organization, I felt... nay! I strived to do good work and to be an asset to the dynamic so it hurt on a certain level (yes, even though I am loathe to admit it, I do take a certain level of pride in my work) being cast aside.
Now, the place I was at had seen an exodus of talent over the last year, so much so that it was addressed by the top man in the local office. Literally every week or other week an email would make the rounds about someone who was leaving and the obligatory sendoff party. It became something of a joke in that gallows humor k...
Well, well, well another work related snippet. This one written even earlier back in October.
You know, shortly after this I wound up at a new client with new challenges and in four short weeks (or was it five) I can say I had probably the worst experience of my professional life. Yes, it was really that bad.
And shortly afterward I wound up at another client where I had an another bad (though not quite as bad) experience and then was back at the client I started with once more.
Let’s say it was akin to a freelance merry-go-round with a very, very bumpy ride.
In the interim, that period of time during my absence, the exodus continued and still continues from my understanding. Which is a shame because as I said I really like this company quite a bit. But I already feel as if I am talking out of school and I won’t succumb to the temptation to do so. Office gossip is probably better left as office gossip and people who are enduring it are quite aware of what is going on without me belaboring the point.
I wonder for myself what it means moving forward as far as the nature of work and what the future holds for me in terms of work. I don’t honestly believe there is such a thing as the perfect workplace and really you’ve got to make the best of whatever situation you’re in. The thing that I’m finding more important than anything as far as work goes are the people you work with and it seems over the last couple of gigs that I’ve wound up meeting some very nice, talented people and I like that a lot.
Enough of this though time to move on to more unimportant things...
No comments:
Post a Comment